River cruising is a luxury experience for those with the backpackers soul. One of the best and most classic experiences offered in the cruise industry, the European river cruise provides guests with an opportunity to experience continental Europe from the decks of a ship. For most guests, the Rhine River provides the perfect introduction to all that Europe’s historical and scenic waterways have to offer. Join us as we take a look at 5 destinations along the Rhine you won’t want to miss.
- Amsterdam is a popular embarkation and disembarkation point for many guests sailing the Rhine. The capital of the Netherlands sits at the mouth of the Rhine and is home to many excellent museums and colorful gardens. The signature architecture of the tightly packed houses and businesses is on display in the bustling plazas and can be enjoyed from the network of canals crisscrossing the city.
- Kinderdijk is a perfect example of the scenic European countryside that guests will enjoy on the Rhine. Home to 19 well-preserved dutch windmills from the 18th century, guests can enjoy a walk through the tulips or time their cruise to local events like the Floriade, and experience local cultural events.
- Strasbourg, France is located in Alsace, on the border with Germany. A melting pot of French and German Culture, guests will be exposed to the savory flavors of the local cuisine, medieval covered bridges, lush gardens, and art-nouveau architecture. Strasbourg is also home to the European Parliament and a famous cathedral.
- Cologne is the fourth largest city in Germany. This UNESCO World Heritage Site. Home to the Dom, Cologne’s historic and photogenic cathedral. The roof of the Dom provides guests with an awe-inspiring vantage point to view the city. Guests can also enjoy a stroll down the scenic waterfront or through Old Town past St. Martin’s Church.
- Basel, Switzerland is another popular embarkation and disembarkation port. A visually stunning city on the border where France, Germany, and Switzerland meet. Wander the cobblestone streets. Basel is home to the historic Middle Bridge, the Marketplatz, and many historic churches and museums. As a common starting or ending point for many river itineraries, Basel provides guests with a great opportunity to visit Lake Lucerne
The Rhine River is an excellent introduction to river cruising. Brands like Viking, AmaWaterways, Scenic, Uniworld, and many more all have a presence in the region. Each brand offers an opportunity to experience these destinations from different perspectives.
River Cruising is a worldwide product these days with new itineraries showing up in Asia, Africa, the Americas, and Europe. When making arrangements to sail, the assistance of an experienced Travel Advisor can be instrumental in matching your tastes to the best product. There are a lot of ways to experience the Rhine River but only one is the best for you. Luxury Cruise Connections advisors and concierge team are well equipped to make your travel dreams a reality.